Zugulu for SVL feature

first_img DaCosta has three strong candidates in the unbeaten FUTURE KING, DREAMLINER and VISION, who upset stable-companion DREAMLINER in the 1100 metres Keeling Memorial Cup on September 26. All three DaCosta horses should figure seriously over this trip. FUTURE KING, in particular, has looked razor-sharp at exercise and with stable jockey Robert Halledeen securing the ride, the hint should be taken. Azan, on the other hand, saddles the highly thought of ZUGULU along with FEDORA. ZUGULU looked the real deal on his debut over 1100 metres on October 3 when winning by four lengths with leading jockey Shane Ellis aboard. Since then, the dark bay gelding by Hold Me Back out of Candy Girl has worked well, galloping six furlongs in a brisk 1:13.0 in preparation for this trophy and will be the one to beat today. The $10.60-million Supreme Ventures Limited 2-Y-O Triple Crown series kicks off at Caymanas Park today with the 11th running of the Cash Pot ‘Only One For Me’ Trophy over 1200 metres for a purse of $3 million. The series for native-bred juveniles offers a million-dollar bonus as well to the owner of the horse good enough to win all three races. The other races in the series are the $3.6-million Pick-3 Super Challenge Trophy over 1400 metres on Saturday, November 28, and the SVL Jamaica 2-Y-O Stakes over a mile on Boxing Day, this for a purse of $4 million. Champion trainer Wayne DaCosta and Richard Azan will run five horses combined, these representing the top contenders in the line-up. STRONG CANDIDATESlast_img read more

Favorites to win, PH triathletes reminded not to be complacent

first_imgOSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Last SEA Games’ champions Nikko Huelgas and Ma. Claire Adorna will once again suit up along with John Leerams Chicano and Marion Kim Mangrobang, who won silver in 2015.“We are the favorites, everything is looking good, but I told the players, let’s not put our guards down,” said Carrasco after a lunch meeting with his team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Field reports said the waters of Putrajaya is 31 degrees, which is hotter than usual.“We need to get used to it, so they had a swimming work out today (Saturday),” Carrasco added. Huelgas and Chicano have been competing and training in Johore Bahru since June 29 and getting acclimatised should not be a big problem to them.Carrasco said the pair competed in Palembang, Indonesia and finished five minutes ahead of the Indonesians.Adorna and Mangrobang have been training in Portugal and competing around Europe, according to Carrasco.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Teen gunned down in Masbate LATEST STORIES MOST READ National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas View comments Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her Alcantara eyes revenge, men’s doubles gold vs Thai twins 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Nikko Huelgas.KUALA LUMPUR — Let’s not get over confident.That’s the stern reminder of triathlon top boss Tom Carrasco to the four Filipino triathletes who will try to retain the country’s double golds Monday in Putrajaya.ADVERTISEMENT 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)last_img read more

Teenage girl charged for stealing handbag

first_imgA girl was taken before the Vreed-en-Hoop Magistrate’s Court on Friday charged with simple larceny.Stacy Skeete, 18, pleaded not guilty to the charge when Magistrate Christel Lambert read it to her.It is alleged that on August 16, 2016, at Hague, West Coast Demerara, she stole one Michael Kors handbag valued $13,000, property of Selena McIntosh.According to the McIntosh, on the day in question, she went to visit a salon with the bag she had just bought.She explained that the defendant, who was a customer at the salon, was sitting next to her when she left her bag and went to the washroom. She told the court that upon her return, she noticed that the bag was gone as well as the defendant.The matter was reported to the Leonora Police Station and the defendant was apprehended at her home. The handbag was also recovered.She was arrested and charged.According to the defendant, she did not mean to take the bag and told the Magistrate that it was an accident.She was granted $20,000 bail. The case will continue on September 9.last_img read more

Manchester United make winning EPL start

first_imgPogba’s third-minute spot-kick settled the hosts’ nerves as United allayed some of the doom and gloom predicted by Mourinho after failing to land a series of targets before Thursday’s transfer deadline.Luke Shaw sealed the points seven minutes from time before Jamie Vardy headed home a consolation for the visitors.After a week in which Pogba has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford, with Barcelona’s interest piqued by the Frenchman’s frosty relationship with Mourinho after he was repeatedly dropped last season, the Portuguese showed his faith in the midfielder by surprisingly handing him the armband.“Pogba was a monster,” said Mourinho. “We thought maximum (he could play) 60 minutes, but he managed 80.”On top of his transfer troubles, Mourinho had a host of injuries and players lacking match sharpness after the World Cup to contend with.“Paul was fantastic, his contribution was amazing but the fuel was disappearing. We were in trouble,” added Mourinho.“I don’t remember in my career to be in so much in trouble to make my changes because I wanted to make five or six and I could only make three.”The hosts got a much-needed lift after just two minutes when Daniel Amartey was harshly adjudged by referee Andre Mariner to have handled Alexis Sanchez’s shot.Pogba resisted the pleas of Sanchez to take the spot-kick and after a prolonged stuttering run up, dispatched his shot into the top corner giving Kasper Schmeichel no chance to repeat his penalty saving heroics at the World Cup for Denmark.“We don’t have a penalty taker, it’s how we feel and I decided to take it. Maybe on the next game I leave it to Alexis,” said Pogba.“I didn’t have any pre-season games, I came back on Monday so it was very hard for the legs.”Rave reviews: Luke Shaw was praised by Jose Mourinho after netting his first Manchester United goal © AFP / Oli SCARFFMourinho was particularly annoyed to miss out on a series of centre-back targets, including Leicester’s Harry Maguire who shone for England in Russia.“It will be a difficult season for everybody, not just for us,” said Mourinho. “I had my plans for many months and I find myself with the market closed in a situation I did not think I would be in.”However, he can still rely on one of the world’s best goalkeepers as David de Gea put his poor World Cup showing behind him with a fine save to prevent James Maddison levelling.Both sides’ top scorers from last season, Romelu Lukaku and Vardy, started on the bench after their World Cup exertions and were introduced for the final quarter.Vardy nearly made a vital contribution as provider when he outmuscled Shaw and picked out Gray in the middle who was denied by another fine save by De Gea.Shaw, who himself has suffered plenty of criticism from Mourinho in the past two seasons, then appeared to make the game safe when he fired low into the far corner to spark wild celebrations from his manager.“Even if I forget the goal, it was a complete performance,” said Mourinho of the left-back’s display.Vardy pulled a goal back deep into stoppage time when he stooped to head in after Ricardo Pereira’s cross came back off the post and United were forced to see out a nervy final few minutes to get off to a winning start.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000On the spot: Paul Pogba scored the opening goal of the Premier League season © AFP / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Aug 10 – Jose Mourinho hailed captain Paul Pogba’s willingness to put his body on the line to lead Manchester United to a winning start in the Premier League with a 2-1 victory over Leicester City on Friday.Less than a month since Pogba scored in the World Cup final to help France lift the trophy, he was thrown straight into action by Mourinho despite just returning to pre-season training this week.last_img read more

IT’S THE MICHAEL MURPHY SHOW AS GLENSWILLY CROWNED 2013 COUNTY CHAMPIONS

first_imgJust champion!BREAKING NEWS: GLENSWILLY are 2013 Senior County Football Champions.They easily saw off Killybegs in the final at MacCumhaill Park in Ballybofey this afternoon with their county stars – and in particular Michael Murphy – proving the massive difference.Both Neil Gallagher and Michael Murphy found the net in a superb 16-point win for the 2011 champions who are taking the Dr Maguire Cup back to the Glen this evening after a winning scoreline of 3-19 to 2-06. Glenswilly had led by just a point at half time – 1-07 to 2-03 in a goal-dominated first half in which Murphy was superb.But Man of the Match Murphy was even better in the second half, setting up the Gallagher goal early on before back-heeling a ball which new county team mate Ciaran Bonner converted.The Ireland International Rules captain showed no hangover from yesterday’s game against Australia to score after just 15 seconds with a superb point.And he added a second a few minutes later after winning the ball and taking a foul in the process – sticking the free over the bar. Murphy was going for a hat-trick of scores a short time later but ended up on the ground clutching his ankle.Killybegs finally responded – with a fortunate goal.Christopher Murrin sent in a high ball, O’Donnell misjudged and the ball ended up in the back of the net.Murphy did get his hat-trick a short time later – from the penalty spot, sticking the ball away.Killybegs went ahead again however; this time Hugh McFadden fisting to the back of the net – 2-0 to to Murphy’s 1-02. Murphy was on the end of some heavy challenges, and ended up being yellow carded himself as the game became scrappy and the half-time whistle went on a scoreline of 1-07 to 2-03 to Glenswilly.But the second half saw Glenswilly’s experience tell and they went on to see off the game with a superb performance.Murphy set up county team mate Gallagher for his side’s second goal and when Jason Noctor was sent off for another yellow card offence – and another foul on Murphy – the game was over as a contest.Then the Donegal captain cheekily back-heeled the ball Keelan McFadden who squared for Bonner to add the third goal. The points were raining in too throughout the second half with Gary McFadden hitting some superb points.Final score Glenswilly 3-19, Killybegs 2-06.Glenswilly manager Gary McDaid said afterwards: “It’s an incredible day and we have now won our second senior title.” IT’S THE MICHAEL MURPHY SHOW AS GLENSWILLY CROWNED 2013 COUNTY CHAMPIONS was last modified: October 20th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:county finalglenswillyKillybegslast_img read more

Paul Heckingbottom sacked by Leeds after just 16 games in charge

first_img Heckingbottom won just four matches as Leeds boss and was sacked last month 1 Leeds United have sacked manager Paul Heckingbottom after just 16 games in charge.Heckingbottom succeeded Thomas Christiansen as manager of the Elland Road club in February, signing an 18-month deal with Leeds, but he failed to improve their form and could only guide them to a 13th place finish; he departs with just four wins to his name.Assistant manager Jamie Clapham, head of fitness Nathan Winder and analyst Alex Bailey will also leave the club, with set-piece coach Gianni Vio not having his contract renewed, Leeds confirmed.Managing director Angus Kinnear said in a statement: “On behalf of the board of directors at Leeds United I would like to thank Paul for the commitment and passion he has demonstrated since he joined the club earlier this year.“Paul came to us during a difficult period in the season and has conducted himself in an exemplary manner despite results not going as any of us had hoped.”Heckingbottom was hired from Barnsley, his boyhood club, with Leeds forced to pay £500,000 to trigger a release clause in his contract.The decision to sack Heckingbottom, 40, comes on the same day Leeds were linked with an ambitious move for Marcelo Bielsa, the former Argentina manager who was last in charge of Lille.Whoever is named manager to succeed Heckingbottom will be Leeds’ fourth since owner Andrea Radrizzani completed his buy-out of the club a little over a year ago.Kinnear added: “Our objective is to bring in a head coach with more experience who can help us reach the goals we have talked about since we became custodian of the club last summer.“We are confident of making a quick appointment and we thank our fans for their continued support.”last_img read more

GARDAÍ: MAN TOLD OFFICERS HE WOULD ‘HAVE A HEART ATTACK’ IF THEY SEIZED HIS CAR

first_imgThe scene of the checkpoint before the incidentGARDAÍ seized a motorist’s car after a 20-minute stand-off in which the motorist said he would “have a heart attack” if his car was taken, Donegal Daily has learned.Six cars were seized for extended unpaid road tax today at Drennan Bridge outside Ballybofey.Several other motorists whose tax had expired recently were allowed to travel on and warned to produce up-to-date road tax at a Garda station. One motorist appeared to collapse by the road side after his vehicle was taken. It hadn’t been taxed for 13 months. He was later taken to hospital in Letterkenny by ambulance where he has been treated for a suspected heart attack.It’s understood Gardaí at the scene were repeatedly told by the man that he would suffer a heart attack – but only if his car was taken.As soon as officers left, the man lay down at the side of the road.Worried eye-witnesses working nearby called an ambulance to take him to hospital. Some of them were angry at how the situation had been handled.  GARDAÍ: MAN TOLD OFFICERS HE WOULD ‘HAVE A HEART ATTACK’ IF THEY SEIZED HIS CAR was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Gardaiseized carsunpaid road taxlast_img read more

Delight as new road safety measures are introduced in Inishowen village

first_imgOver €30,000 has been spent on a series of road safety measures in Redcastle in Inishowen, it has emerged. Donegal County Council sanctioned the money to the effort in which the clearing of overgrown ditches and tree felling was followed by the erection of new road signs and a yellow box.The improvements come following a series of accidents in the village where motorist tend not to slow down, causing a risk to life. Speaking to Donegal Daily, Cllr Martin Farren said he was delighted to see the road safety works implemented in the area.“There have been several accidents in the area over the last few years and I got Donegal County Council to have a look at it and thankfully they secured €30,000 out of the Low-Cost Safety Fund.”“Part of that money has been spent there and it has made a vast difference to the community with the vision lines much clearer there than before and makes it much safer for pedestrians to cross the road.“Now, people who are coming and going or passing through the village must uphold the speed limit in the are. “The speed limit currently is 60km/h, for whatever reason I don’t know, from my own perspective I would prefer it to be 50km/h.“However, I would ask people to stick to the speed limit outlined,” he added.“It is the responsibility of the person sitting behind the wheel of the car and when they are driving through the village or any village for that matter, they must drive with care.”Farren revealed that the project is only in its first phase with more work to be done in the coming months.“I want to thank Donegal County Council for working with me in relation to this issue and to the Redcastle community. “And there is still work to be done. The white and yellow lines have to go down and a number of signs to go up.“We are also installing a new bus shelter. Where the bus normally stops outside the post office, we are moving it a bit further up the road where people will be able to get on the bus.“I must pay tribute to the engineer on this matter because they have done an excellent job and the community will feel much safer now.”Delight as new road safety measures are introduced in Inishowen village was last modified: October 6th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Fishing the North Coast: Jack return bolster Klamath ocean abundance

first_imgThe ocean abundance numbers are in for the Klamath and Sacramento Rivers, and the reviews are mixed. The Klamath stocks hit rock bottom last year, and the bottom wasn’t as far down as first thought. In 2017, 18,410 adult kings were predicted to return to the Klamath. But the actual numbers were much better – 31,838 to be exact. While these numbers still pale in comparison to the average returns (roughly 120,000), at least we’re headed in the right direction. And I think we’re going that way a …last_img read more