5 quick facts about new Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers

first_imgBowling Green head coach Dino Babers will be the next head coach at Syracuse. He’s spent the last four seasons as the head man at Eastern Illinois (2012-13) and Bowling Green (2014-15). Here are five quick facts about the 54-year-old who will fill the vacancy.1. Success grooming quarterbacksIn 2013, Babers coached EIU quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to the Walter Payton Trophy, FCS’s equivalent of the Heisman. Garoppolo had 5,050 yards and 53 touchdowns in 2013 and 8,873 yards and 84 touchdowns in two seasons under Babers. He was taken in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots and currently serves as Tom Brady’s backup.Last season, Bowling Green quarterback Matt Johnson suffered a season-ending hip injury in the Falcons’ season-opener. In 2015, he led the country in regular-season passing yards. His 4,465 yards through the air are 182 more then Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes’ total. Johnson, a senior, also has a 43-to-8 touchdown-to-interception ratio.Next season, Syracuse is expected to return quarterback Eric Dungey, along with walk-on Zack Mahoney and sophomore Austin Wilson. The Orange is also bringing in Rex Culpepper and Lindsey Scott as Class of 2016 commits.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text2. Bringing Baylor to SyracuseBabers served as the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator for the Bears in 2008. From 2009-11, he was Baylor’s special teams coordinator and wide receivers coach for an offense led by current Washington Redskins signal-caller Robert Griffin III.The Bear’s high-powered offense put up 45.3 points per game in 2011 and Babers carried the style to EIU, where the Panthers put up 36.5 points per game and 48.2 points per game in his two seasons. Bowling Green put up 34.8 points per game last year without Johnson and 43.4 per game with him this year.The Orange posted 27.3 points per game this season, only 17.1 in 2014 and 22.7 in 2013. Babers’ offensive-minded approach can only help a team scrapping to emerge from the depths of the Atlantic Coast Conference.3. Past stopsHere’s a list of Babers’ 16 coaching jobs before getting the head job at Syracuse1984 – Hawaii (graduate assistant)1985 – Arizona State (GA)1987 – Eastern Illinois (running backs)1988-89 – UNLV (special teams/RBs)1990 – Northern Arizona (ST)1991-93 – Purdue (wide receivers)1994 – San Diego State (WRs)1995-97 – Arizona (WRs/RBs/quarterbacks)1998-2000 – Arizona (offensive coordinator/QBs)2001-02 – Texas A&M (OC/QBs)2003 – Pittsburgh (RBs)2004-07 – UCLA (asst. head coach/RBs/QBs)2008 – Baylor (WR/recruiting coordinator)2009-11 – Baylor (ST/WRs)2012-13 – Eastern Illinois (head coach)2014-15 Bowling Green (HC)4. What he said this weekEarlier this week, 247 Sports reported that Babers would be the next head coach at Central Florida. He refuted that on Monday, saying “I am not going anywhere, OK. I have no secret deals, no above deals, no verbal deals. I have no deals.” He expressed the sole focus of preparing for Friday’s Mid-American Conference title game against Northern Illinois. Syracuse target and ex-Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost eventually took the UCF job.After a USA TODAY report linked Babers to Syracuse on Thursday, he released the following statement: “I am focused on Bowling Green State University and our goal of winning a MAC championship.” It didn’t refute the rumors like his earlier statement about UCF did, but it didn’t confirm anything either.Now, he’s reportedly hired as SU’s next head football coach.5. Almost giving up“I always lived my life from a very young age to be a head football coach,” Babers told The Daily Orange in 2013. “It was something that I always worked and strived to be. But after I left UCLA, I kind of gave up on that.”Babers was involved in a life-threatening car crash while coaching at Baylor. It gave him a new outlook on life, one that made him not want to give up on football.Now, he’s the head coach at a Power 5 school. Comments Related Stories Dino Babers named Syracuse football’s next head coachPoll: Is Dino Babers the right football coach for Syracuse?Syracuse football recruits react to Dino Babers hiringStorify: Social media reacts to Dino Babers being hired as Syracuse’s next football coachSyracuse makes hiring of Dino Babers official in press release Published on December 5, 2015 at 11:50 am Contact Matt: mcschnei@syr.edu | @matt_schneidmancenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Six former Trojans compete in NFL Scouting Combine

first_imgAs is the case most years, USC football will be well represented not only when draft day comes in late April, but also this weekend at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.Former running back Ronald Jones is participating in the combine. Photo by Emily Smith | Daily TrojanAfter sending eight athletes to the NFL Combine last year, USC will have six former players working out in front of scouts through the weekend at Lucas Oil Stadium. Included among those in attendance are quarterback Sam Darnold, wide receivers Steven Mitchell Jr. and Deontay Burnett, running back Ronald Jones II, linebacker Uchenna Nwosu and defensive lineman Rasheem Green.Like when he was playing in cardinal and gold, Darnold will certainly command most of the attention out of the Trojan draft prospects this weekend, if not the entire group of prospects working out in Indianapolis. In fact, he has already made headlines without performing a single workout due to his announcement Tuesday that he would not be throwing throughout the weekend.Although all the other top quarterback prospects such as Wyoming’s Josh Allen, UCLA’s Josh Rosen and former Oklahoma Sooner Baker Mayfield will be throwing in this year’s combine, there is precedent for Darnold’s decision. In 2014, both Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel elected to wait, as Darnold is, until their pro day workout to throw passes in front of scouts. Clearly, it didn’t hurt their draft stock too drastically as both would go on to be first-round picks in the ensuing draft.Beyond the 2017 Rose Bowl MVP, the balance of the USC contingency will have a lot to prove in front of the NFL scouts this weekend.  According to his most recent mock draft, Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller has Darnold as his top pick while the rest of the Trojan combine invitees are listed as being drafted outside of the first round.Jones II, the Pac-12’s second leading rusher from this past season, is projected to go off the board early in the second round while Nwosu, a USC defensive captain who tied for 10th in the FBS in sacks, is expected to hear his name called later in the second round. Furthermore, co-sacks leader Green is projected to be an early third-round pick in Miller’s projections.No two players have as much to prove heading into this weekend as Trojan wideouts Burnett and  Mitchell Jr., as they are expected to be fifth-round and undrafted prospects, respectively.  Putting up an impressive stat-line of 86 catches for 1,114 yards and nine scores in 2017, Burnett finished the season in the top three among Pac-12 receivers and well within the top-20 nationally.For Mitchell Jr., he will have to work hard to convince scouts that a track record of injury will not impact his NFL value. Never topping 650 yards in any of his four seasons at Southern Cal, Mitchell Jr. suffered a major knee injury in his 2016 campaign that cut his season short at seven games and proved to limit his snaps at times this past season.A year ago, USC similarly sent two receivers to the scouting combine: Juju Smith-Schuster and Darreus Rogers. The former was selected in the second round while the latter ended up not being drafted.Jones II will work out on Friday while Darnold, Mitchell Jr. and Burnett will perform on Saturday, and Green and Nwosu will check in on Sunday.last_img read more

MYSTERY AFTER MAN DISCOVERED IN SEMI-CONSCIOUS STATE NEAR RATHMULLAN BEACH

first_imgAn 19 year old man is in hospital after being found in a semi-conscious state on a beach near Rathmullan.The man was found by a passer-by at a place known as Batt’s Walk near the scenic coastal village around 3.45pm yesterday afternoon.The shock discovery was made by a man out walking close to the well-known Rathmullan House Hotel. The victim, who is believed to be from Killavee in Portsalon, is believed to have been lying on the beach overnight in close to freezing temperatures.Gardai are trying to establish if the man was at an earlier beach party which was held locally on Thursday night.He was rushed to Letterkenny General Hospital but due to new HSE guidelines, staff are refusing to comment on his condition.A spokesman for the Garda press office said they have not received a criminal complaint in relation to the man’s discovery. However sources at Letterkenny General Hospital said the man has since been transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin  and may have suffered head injuries.A source revealed “He’s very lucky he was found when he was. Any longer and it could have been even more serious.“Exactly what happened to him is a mystery at the moment but there was a beach party on Thursday night and there are rumours that he was at it.”EndsMYSTERY AFTER MAN DISCOVERED IN SEMI-CONSCIOUS STATE NEAR RATHMULLAN BEACH was last modified: June 11th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:man discoveredRathmullanlast_img read more