John Worboys to stay in prison after new Parole Board panel rules he

Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. It concluded: “After considering the circumstances of offending, the progress made while in custody, and the evidence presented within the dossier, the panel was not satisfied that Mr Worboys was suitable for release or progression to the open estate.”The Parole Board assesses whether serving prisoners in England and Wales are safe to be released into the community or moved to open conditions, considering around 25,000 cases a year.Earlier this month, parole board chairman Caroline Corby said the body had suffered a “loss of confidence” in the wake of its error over releasing WorboysMs Corby’s predecessor, Nick Hardwick, was forced to quit after the High Court ruling.Professor Hardwick stepped down as chair after being told by David Gauke, the Justice Secretary, that his position was untenable. The case was examined by a new panel on October 25.It was considered “on the papers” after Worboys advised the Board that he would not be seeking an oral hearing, a recommendation for transfer to open conditions or a direction for release.Nevertheless, the case still had to be looked at in accordance with the original referral.Among the documents considered by the panel were a 1,255 page dossier on Worboys and personal statements from seven victims.A summary of the decision said: “Having considered the Index Offences and all the evidence before it, the panel listed risk factors associated with Mr Worboys, including sexual preoccupation, a sense of sexual entitlement, his attitudes towards women [including a need to have sexual contact with women and to control women], a belief that rape is acceptable, alcohol misuse and problems with relationships.”Worboys “submitted that he had worked very hard to accept and understand his offending”, the summary said.It added: “However, the panel considered there to be a need to further understand risk factors and triggers to his offending.”Witnesses described “positive behaviour” in custody since Worboys’s last parole review, but they did not support release or progression to open conditions within their reports, the summary said. Black cab rapist John Worboys will stay in prison after a new Parole Board panel concluded he is not suitable for release. Worboys, 61, was set to be freed earlier this year following his conviction in 2009 for attacks on 12 women after the board ruled in January he was eligible for release. But the decision was overturned by the High Court in March following a legal challenge brought by his victims after it was ruled the panel which approved Worboys’ release had failed to explore a wider pattern of alleged offending.The taxi driver, who drugged women before raping them in the back of his cab, has probably assaulted more than 100 women, the High Court said.As a result Worboys, 61, was kept behind bars until the case had been reassessed by a new panel.Revealing the outcome today, a Parole Board spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board gave a negative decision in the parole review of John Worboys following an paper hearing in October 2018.”Under current legislation Mr Worboys will be eligible for a further review within two years.”The date of the next review will be set by the Ministry of Justice.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *