Less talk, more action on respite

first_imgPrint THE head of a campaign to restore respite services in Limerick to their former capacity for the long term, has asked local politicians to put the issue at the top of their agenda once more. Owen South has been fronting a campaign to relaunch a full respite service in Limerick, which was reduced significantly when government funding was cut by in June.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The facility in Clonile, which offered respite to 63 families, was closed and an alternative service was set up elsewhere in August, funded by €50,000 of the Brother’s of Charity’s own savings.However, the service is greatly reduced and is planned to open just 77 days next year, a drop of 48% on last year.“Nearly three months have now gone and the Brothers of Charity respite house in Clonile, Caherdavin, is still closed,” Mr South told the Limerick Post. “The Brothers of Charity have, since the end of August, opened a limited respite house in another part of Caherdavin.“The charity has donated €50,000 from much valued money raised over the years to enable  families affected by the closure get some respite”.Mr. South said that one month into the reopening of the service, the money is being eaten into and will soon run out.“Local Fianna Fail politicians, along with Brian Cowen, have claimed that the restoration of full respite services is top of their agenda, but three months on and nothing has been done and there has been no communication”.He added that the families have had “enough talk” and want to see the result of respite services in Limerick restored to full capacity. Advertisement Previous articleRound up from the courtsNext articleDeadline extended for Green Bulding Awards admin Twitter NewsLocal NewsLess talk, more action on respiteBy admin – September 27, 2010 702 WhatsApp Facebook Email Linkedinlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *