June 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts ChinaAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesReports and statisticsProtecting journalists ImprisonedFreedom of expressionPredatorsJudicial harassment News News Follow the news on China Organisation Help by sharing this information ChinaAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesReports and statisticsProtecting journalists ImprisonedFreedom of expressionPredatorsJudicial harassment April 27, 2021 Find out more Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News China’s Cyber Censorship Figures News RSF_en After President Xi Jinping last week gave himself the constitutional power to rule indefinitely, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) points out that more than 50 journalists and bloggers are currently jailed in China – some serving life sentences – and that ten of them could die prematurely as a result of the conditions in which they are held. China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison to go further March 22, 2018 – Updated on October 28, 2019 At least 10 citizen-journalists could die in China’s jails The Chinese authorities no longer sentence press freedom defenders to death, but they deliberately mistreat them and deprive them of the medical attention they need while in prison.The Nobel peace laureate Liu Xiaobo and the dissident blogger Yang Tongyan both died last year from cancer that was left untreated in detention. Liu Xiaobo’s widow Liu Xia, who is suffering from depression and a heart condition, has been denied contact with the outside world for eight years although no charge has been brought against her.To draw the international community’s attention to the fate of journalists and bloggers imprisoned in China, RSF is publishing a list of ten leading detainees who are in danger of dying as a result of mistreatment and a lack of medical care.IlhamTohti, 48, citizen-journalistLuJianhua (Wen Yu), 57, political commentatorZhang Haitao, 46, political commentatorYiu Mantin (Yao Wentian), 73, publisherWuGan, 44, bloggerLu Yuyu, 38 ans, journaliste-citoyen Huang Qi, 54, journalist, recipient of the 2004 RSF Press Freedom Prize GuiMinhai (Michael Gui), 53, Chinese-born Swedish publisherLiu Feiyue, 47 ans, journaliste Zhen Jianghua (Guests Zhen), 32, journalist March 12, 2021 Find out more
WhatsApp University of Limerick appoints first ever woman president of an Irish university Email Breaching the gender barrier at UL The main building at the University of LimerickThe University of Limerick has dropped out of the world’s top 500 universities.The 2016 World University Rankings, published last week, ranks UL in the 501-550 band, a significant fall from its previous position of 471.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Irish Universities Association (IUA) has responded to this news by referring to a decade of austerity and its “corrosive effect” on our higher education system.Stating that the “continued slide” of the Irish Universities should be “greeted with alarm” the IUA said that positive strides in research and the internationalisation of the staff and student cohort was being “undermined by the negative impact of underfunding on key indicators such as the student:faculty ratio.”IUA Chief Executive, Ned Costello said: “We can no longer hide from the corrosive effect which years of cutbacks are having on our higher education system. At a time when we are more dependent than ever on the talent of our people for our economic future, we simply must invest in our universities.”“An immediate injection of funding is required in the upcoming Budget and Estimates to fund more lecturers, deliver smaller group teaching and restore quality in our system,” Mr Costello concluded.Between 2007 and 2014, state funding for universities in this country fell by 28%, from €722.8m in 2007 to €522.2m in 2014.Conversely there was an increase in full-time enrollment in Irish universities of 18%, from 78,577 in 2008 to 93,023 in 2014.Reacting to these figures, the General Secretary of the Irish Federation of University Teachers (IFUT), Mike Jennings, said, “It is shocking to realise that student to academic staff ratios were worse in 2011 than those described in the report of the Commission on Higher Education (1967) and increased from 19:1 in 2007 to 23:1 in 2011.”Mr Jennings echoed the need to address this issue in this year’s budget, “The forthcoming Budget must address this crisis as a priority. The government must provide adequate funds to enable universities to recover from a decade of what now seems like deliberate neglect and downgrading of third-level education,” he said.All but one of Ireland’s universities have dropped in the listings, with only National University of Ireland in Galway improving upon last year’s position by rising from 271st to 249th.Trinity College Dublin remains Ireland’s highest ranked university in 98th place. For the fifth year running the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has been rated as the world’s best university.Out of the 32 OECD countries featured in the rankings, Ireland’s expenditure on third-level institutions was the fourth lowest. Linkedin Twitter Previous articleSocials – Press Ball 2016 LaunchNext articleLimerick councillors fobbed off by transport authority Editor Advertisement Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Print NewsEducationUL drops out of top 500 universitiesBy Editor – September 8, 2016 995 TAGSUL Facebook University of Limerick came out on top at this years Smedia Awards Intermediate Care Facility patients benefiting from holistic healthcare model RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Post Show | CSSI 2020
The goal, according to the governor,is to further limit the movement of people in line with the ongoing enhancedcommunity quarantine to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019(COVID-19). * there shall be a shuttle servicestationed at the poblacion ofmunicipalities for quarantine pass holders commuting on a daily basis to IloiloCity; the schedule of the shuttle service shall likewise be determined by themayor. On March 27, Defensor issuedguidelines in the implementation of Executive Order No. 080. Among theguidelines were the following: Tricycles, pedicabs and motorcyclesmay only be used for private purposes such as going to the market or pharmacy,provided the user has secured a quarantine pass. Another guideline stated: “Publicmarkets shall be open everyday, provided that the schedule of market days besuspended, and provided further that only clusters of barangays shall haveaccess to the public markets (including the surrounding stalls/stores) on agiven day.” Defensor also said they may be used asservice vehicles of workers exempted by his Executive Order No. 080 (enhancedcommunity quarantine) such as healthcare workers, among others, but that thereshould be no other passengers. ILOILO – Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. hasprohibited the use of tricycles, pedicabs and motorcycles as public transport. “The mayor shall determine theclustering of barangays and the schedule of access to the public market,”Defensor added./PN In a memorandum, Defensor urged mayorsand barangay captains to enforce the temporary prohibition. The governor then reminded localgovernment units to provide shuttle service to frontliners (people who continueworking because their job is indispensable such as those of healthcare workers,staff of pharmacies, grocery stores, gas stations, bakeries, etc.) and peoplegoing to public markets. * there shall be a shuttle servicestationed at the barangay exit point/s to transport quarantine pass holders tothe poblacion (town center); scheduleof the shuttle service shall be determined by the mayor
The basketball champion of B&H ”Široki Wwin” has marked the fifth victory in this season of the regional ABA League. This team played against the Hungarian ”Szolnoki” and won with the result 69:75Marko Šutalo was the best player of the match with 15 scored points. Freeman and Jones scored each 12 points. In the next round of matches, ”Široki Wwin” will play with ”Partizan” on the 12th of January, as well as with ”Crvena zvezda”. ”Igokea” from Aleksandrovac still holds the first place in the ABA League.
“The Trophy Tour will give fans everywhere a taste of the excitement that’s to come, not to mention a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the Trophy for themselves.” World Cup legend Pirlo with the trophy before leaving London. PHOTO @FIFAWorldCupFIFA World Cup Trophy Tour by Coca-Cola takes off from London, in Kampala March 5London, UK | THE INDEPENDENT | The global leg of the FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour by Coca-Cola kicked off with an official launch ceremony in London on Monday, with former FIFA World Cup winners Sir Geoff Hurst of England and Andrea Pirlo of Italy on hand to celebrate and send the FIFA World Cup Original Trophy off on its worldwide journey.The FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour by Coca-Cola will visit 91 cities, across 51 countries and six continents, giving thousands of fans the chance to experience football’s most coveted prize. The trophy will be in Uganda on 5th – 6th March, 2018.According to FIFA.COM, starting today, Coca-Cola invited fans around the world to get #ReadyFor the highly anticipated 2018 FIFA World Cup by giving them the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get up close to the same Trophy that will be presented to the winning country of the tournament in July.This is the fourth time in history that Coca-Cola and FIFA have come together to bring the Trophy Tour to the world. This year, the 2018 FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour will touch down in a number of nations for the first time ever, including Iceland, Austria and Mongolia.“As football fans around the world gear up for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, we want to make sure they are ready for all of the emotions that this summer’s tournament will bring,” said Ricardo Fort, Vice President of Global Sports Partnerships, The Coca-Cola Company. Share on: WhatsApp
Stay up to date with the Artesians by visiting the Oly Town Artesians website, following them on Twitter, and liking them on Facebook. Facebook0Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Oly Town ArtesiansDavid Cook scored twice and goalkeeper JJ Olson made 26 saves in his return from injury for the Oly Town Artesians, but Bellingham rallied for three goals in the fourth quarter including the game winner with 17.5 seconds left to take a 5-4 victory on Saturday night at The Pavilion.It was a tale of two halves, with the Artesians scoring first on Cook’s goal at the 9:53 mark of the first quarter and then adding their second goal on a Josh Dube strike with 1:11 left in the quarter. Oly Town built a three goal lead on a power play when Cook was able to body one in after a pile up in front of the goal. The Artesians added their fourth and final goal when the Boatright brothers hooked up with Nate smashing one home off a pass from Eli, and Oly took a 4-1 lead into the break.But the second half belonged to Bellingham, with the Hammers taking 20 shots on goal over the final 30 minutes while limiting the Artesians offensively. Richard Henderson got United’s scoring started in the second quarter, scoring his 17th goal of the season with 6:44 to go in the first half. Christian Caro scored his first of two goals on a power play but that is all the Hammers could muster in the third.The Artesians killed an early Bellingham power play in the fourth, but fouls caught up with them and Caro scored his second goal of the game just seven seconds into the penalty to make it a 4-3 Artesians lead with 6:51 left. After pulling goalkeeper Ike Onyeador and adding a sixth attacker, Nick Cashmere tied it up 4-4 with 2:15 left. Bellingham was shown a blue card 30 seconds later and Oly’s confidence swelled playing a man up near the end of the game. But Bellingham took advantage of a break off of a rebounded shot by Oly and Connor Moe smashed one past Olson to take a 5-4 lead with just 17.5 seconds left. They would hold on for the final few seconds to take the road victory in the regular season finale.The Oly Town Artesians wrapped up their league schedule but will host one more game next Saturday with Austin Kelley Night, an annual celebration of soccer in memory of friend and teammate Austin Kelley. First kick in the friendly between the Artesians and the Oly Legends is set for 6:30 at The Pavilion at The Evergreen State College.
RED BANK – Jody Calendar, veteran award-winning newspaper editor, accomplished communication consultant and lifelong Two River area resident, has been named executive editor/co-publisher of The Two River Times. Domenic M. DiPiero III, president of Newport Media Holdings, LLC, which owns the newspaper announced the appointment on Monday.Calendar has deep roots in the community having grown up in Colts Neck and attending Red Bank Catholic.“I’m absolutely thrilled by the opportunity to be working with Domenic DiPiero in making The Two River Times an even greater part of this wonderful community,” Calendar said. “I look forward to engaging the public on every level, providing up-to-date online coverage and presenting timely, compelling issues that reflect the depth of this wonderful and unique county.”Calendar started her newspaper career as a rookie with The Asbury Park Press and after holding most positions in the newsroom eventually ran news, personnel and budget. She also served as the managing editor of the Bergen Record.“It’s clear with her talent and background, Jody is committed to the area and The Two River Times,” said DiPiero. “We are happy to have her on board.”Calendar has consulted on four continents, is a motivational speaker, and was named one of New Jersey’s 50 most interesting people. She was named Woman of the Year by the State Advisory Council on Women, Role Model by the National Organization of Women, and honored as a Distinguished Alumna.She has served as adjunct professor at Rutgers University and Brookdale Community College for many years She has edited, written and supervised nationally award winning projects, and is a former director of the national board of the Associated Press Managing Editors. She judges hundreds of prestigious contests and works closely with Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism serving on its Oakes Board. She has also trained for most major newspaper chains.Having run two major newsrooms and establishing a free press in developing countries, she learned new models to adapt to a transitioning industry and has insights about what all businesses need to address in a declining economy and changing clientele.As a result, she translated that knowledge and founded Calendar Communications, LLC, a Tinton Falls based company specializing in teaching organizational change, leadership and management skills.Calendar also worked to help small businesses to recover from Super Storm Sandy with the NJ Small Business Development Centers Network.Currently Calendar serves on the Board of the Monmouth County Arts Council, Eastern Monmouth Chamber of Commerce and the Brookdale Foundation Board of Trustees. She also works closely with CPC to raise funds through its annual fund raising gala.
Walter D. Greason, associate professor and chair of the department of educational counseling at Monmouth University, will lead the first public program at 9:30 a.m., From the Pines to the Waves: Wealth, Leadership and Historic Preservation. The presentation will focus on the economic patterns of land-use and local governance, especially those in Monmouth County, that have historically shaped New Jersey. “Four Centuries of Monmouth County Women” will focus on extraordinary women, said Christine Giordano Hanlon, Monmouth County clerk, some of whom had an impact on the women’s suffrage movement will be highlighted. By Rick Geffken At 10:45 a.m., Melissa Ziobro, specialist professor of public history at Monmouth University, will focus on the marriages between American women and men of European nobility during the Gilded Age in her presentation, American Women and Royal Marriages: New Jersey’s Real-Life “Lady Coras.” Ziobro has been studying the history of these so-called “dollar princesses” for several years. Among them was the 16-year-old Florence Hazard from Shrewsbury who married an Austrian price in 1899. “These presentations will provide great background to accompany this year’s Archives and History Day catalog which profiles more than 50 notable Monmouth County women with a wide variety of achievements,” said Hanlon. Archives Day brings together researchers, scholars and historical society members from many of the 53 municipalities in the county. With backgrounds as professional genealogists, amateur historians, authors and writers, the group discusses new findings, books and events of various historical topics. The informal discussions are lively and the featured speakers and break-out sessions are well-attended. There will be a spotlight on the history of notable Monmouth County women at the county’s annual Archives and History Day, to be held Saturday, Oct. 12 at the Monmouth County Library Headquarters in Manalapan. The complete Archives Week program can be viewed online at the Monmouth County Clerk’s Archives Division at monmouthcountyclerk.com/ archives. The event is free and open to the public. Attendees can purchase books, historical maps and other documents, in many cases directly from the authors and creators. The day’s final presenter will be Carol Smith Levin, performing at 1 p.m. as Lillian Feickert, an early president of New Jersey Woman Suffrage Association. Her presentation will focus on the suffragists’ sustained efforts to restore women’s voting rights and their involvement on the national stage.