UL drops out of top 500 universities

first_imgWhatsApp University of Limerick appoints first ever woman president of an Irish university Email Breaching the gender barrier at UL The main building at the University of LimerickThe University of Limerick has dropped out of the world’s top 500 universities.The 2016 World University Rankings, published last week, ranks UL in the 501-550 band, a significant fall from its previous position of 471.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Irish Universities Association (IUA) has responded to this news by referring to a decade of austerity and its “corrosive effect” on our higher education system.Stating that the “continued slide” of the Irish Universities should be “greeted with alarm” the IUA said that positive strides in research and the internationalisation of the staff and student cohort was being “undermined by the negative impact of underfunding on key indicators such as the student:faculty ratio.”IUA Chief Executive, Ned Costello said: “We can no longer hide from the corrosive effect which years of cutbacks are having on our higher education system. At a time when we are more dependent than ever on the talent of our people for our economic future, we simply must invest in our universities.”“An immediate injection of funding is required in the upcoming Budget and Estimates to fund more lecturers, deliver smaller group teaching and restore quality in our system,” Mr Costello concluded.Between 2007 and 2014, state funding for universities in this country fell by 28%, from €722.8m in 2007 to €522.2m in 2014.Conversely there was an increase in full-time enrollment in Irish universities of 18%, from 78,577 in 2008 to 93,023 in 2014.Reacting to these figures, the General Secretary of the Irish Federation of University Teachers (IFUT), Mike Jennings, said, “It is shocking to realise that student to academic staff ratios were worse in 2011 than those described in the report of the Commission on Higher Education (1967) and increased from 19:1 in 2007 to 23:1 in 2011.”Mr Jennings echoed the need to address this issue in this year’s budget, “The forthcoming Budget must address this crisis as a priority. The government must provide adequate funds to enable universities to recover from a decade of what now seems like deliberate neglect and downgrading of third-level education,” he said.All but one of Ireland’s universities have dropped in the listings, with only National University of Ireland in Galway improving upon last year’s position by rising from 271st to 249th.Trinity College Dublin remains Ireland’s highest ranked university in 98th place. For the fifth year running the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has been rated as the world’s best university.Out of the 32 OECD countries featured in the rankings, Ireland’s expenditure on third-level institutions was the fourth lowest. Linkedin Twitter Previous articleSocials – Press Ball 2016 LaunchNext articleLimerick councillors fobbed off by transport authority Editor Advertisement Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students center_img Print NewsEducationUL drops out of top 500 universitiesBy Editor – September 8, 2016 995 TAGSUL Facebook University of Limerick came out on top at this years Smedia Awards Intermediate Care Facility patients benefiting from holistic healthcare model RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Post Show | CSSI 2020last_img read more

Lifeguards Go On Duty Starting May 23

first_imgLifeguards will protect the beaches beginning Memorial Day weekend. The Department of Fire and Rescue Services announced Tuesday that the Ocean City Beach Patrol will be guarding the beaches for Memorial Day Weekend.Beaches are guarded from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekends and holidays and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.Beginning Saturday, May 23, the following beaches will be guarded:St. Charles Place                             12th StreetBrighton Place                                  26th Street8th Street                                           34th Street9th Street                                           58th Street10th Street11th StreetAs per the governor’s guidelines, Ocean City officials ask that people maintain six feet of space between strangers when using the beaches.Avoid groups of 10 or more. Masks or face coverings are recommended. Tents and canopies will not be permitted on the beaches between First Street and 10th Street.On other beaches, they will be limited in size to 8 feet wide by 6 feet deep by 6 feet tall, and they must be placed at the back of the beach within 10 feet of the seaward side of the dunes.The Ocean City Beach Patrol strongly urges bathers to swim only at guarded beaches. If you have any questions, please call 609-525-9200.For information on guarded beaches, visit www.ocnj.us/ocbp or view the Ocean City Government Access Channel 97.For all emergencies call 911.last_img read more

Food for Britain to close its doors

first_imgExport consultancy Food from Britain (FFB) is shutting up shop on 31 March, but arrangements have been made to continue supporting British food and drink exporters. From April, any companies interested in export opportunities will need to contact UK Trade & Investment (UKTI).Companies are advised to register on its website – www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk – in order to continue receiving information about any government help on offer.FFB has previously helped many UK businesses tap into the export market, including bakery firms such as Indulgence Patisserie and Walkers Shortbread. UKTI and its partners in the English regions, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland offer a full range of services to food and drink companies.From 1 April, companies in every sector will also be given greater access to funding from UKTI’s Tradeshow Access Programme (TAP). Food and drink firms will be able to apply for up to six grants of up to £1,800 to visit trade fairs overseas, with the proviso that these include at least two different markets.For more information please visit FFB’s website: www.foodfrombritain.comlast_img read more

Breen–Phillips Meal Auction to build community

first_imgThe Notre Dame community has the opportunity to support the South Bend community by participating in the Breen-Phillips Hall 32nd annual Meal Auction on Thursday. During the event, students will have the chance to bid on dining with various “campus celebrities,” as well as gift baskets, gift cards and several other prize items. All profits from the auction will go to Meals on Wheels of St. Joseph County.Janice Chung | The Observer Co-chair and sophomore Jennifer Flanagan said the event is centered around the theme of community.“Meals on Wheels is a local charity, so we’re giving back to the South Bend community, and it’s also branching out to the Notre Dame community with all of these professors and coaches that are taking students into their homes or out in South Bend and treating them to dinner,” she said.Flanagan said other prizes being raffled or auctioned off include gift certificates to local restaurants such as CJ’s Pub, Le Peep and Rocky River Tap & Table. Other items available at the auction include Bose wireless speaker, a $100 Lululemon gift card, tickets to this summer’s PGA Tour, tickets to multiple Chicago Blackhawks games and tickets to a Chicago Cubs game.According to the Breen-Phillips Meal Auction Facebook event, several celebrity meals being auctioned off are with various Irish head coaches, including football coach Brian Kelly, women’s basketball coach Muffet McGraw and men’s basketball coach Mike Brey.Other prizes being auctioned off include a private tour of the two new residence halls led by vice president of student affairs Erin Hoffmann Harding, a home cooked meal or Irish tea at the Fiddler’s Hearth with Assistant Director of Social Concerns Seminars Kyle Lantz, a class with True Balance Yoga founder Steve Krojniewski and a home-cooked, traditional South African dinner at professor Anré Venter’s home.Students can pay for auction items with Domer Dollars, Venmo, cash or checks.Procuring donations from local restaurants “has been a lot of work, but it’s definitely been worth it,” Flanagan said. The auction has evolved since its early years, and up until last year, only celebrity meals were auctioned off, and the event was a live two-hour auction.“That was hard because it’s hard to get students on a school night to commit two hours,” Flanagan said.This year, the auction will last from 4 to 9 p.m., during which students can stop in to the Dooley Room at any time and fill out bid sheets and raffle tickets. At the end of night, if any events are still being bid competitively, the auction will go live.“Typically it raises a couple thousand dollars, so we’re hoping it’ll raise that for Meals on Wheels again,” Flanagan said.Flanagan said there will be special events throughout the night to entertain those who come to the auction. From 4 to 5 p.m., campus representatives from Rockstar Energy Drinks will be at the auction distributing free drinks and merchandise. From 5 to 6 p.m., campus representatives from KIND Snacks will be giving out granola bars; from 6 to 7 p. m., students who buy raffle tickets will get free berries donated from Meijer’s grocery stores; and from 7 to 8 p.m., campus representatives from Vineyard Vines will be giving out free merchandise.“The most important part is that it’s for a really great charity; I think that’s why we’ve gotten so many awesome donations, and I’ve been surprised at how generous South Bend has been,” Flanagan said. “It’s brought BP together, it’s brought some really cool professors together, so ultimately we hope it raises a ton of money for Meals on Wheels.”Tags: Breen-Phillips, meal auctionlast_img read more

CUs in wildfire region coping with change

first_imgThe forest fires, the evacuations and now the increase in frequency and reach of the rolling blackouts has made life—and running a credit union—in Northern California “extremely complicated,” says Brett Martinez.The CEO of Redwood CU, which has become a critical resource in its region for not only providing support for members impacted by the growing number of fires in California but also for the communities the $4.7-billion CU serves, acknowledged doing business in the region now means adjusting to a great deal of change.‘Complicated’ Situation“It’s gotten so complicated, so many pieces of the puzzle to address, but I guess, fortunately, we’re pretty good at this,” said Martinez, whose credit union has raised more $35 million over three years to aid fire victims in California, as well as provide food and shelter. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Jenkins: Laudrup link still strong

first_img The disagreement concerned proposed transfer targets and the amount of money Swansea were prepared to spend in acquiring them. The row put 49-year-old Laudrup’s future at the club in doubt, particularly when Swansea decided to stop dealing with Tutumlu, after he attempted to broker a deal to sell defender Ashley Williams against the club’s wishes, but there has been more positive news to report in recent days with the club having tabled a number of bids for players targeted by their Danish boss. Midfielder Jose Canas and defender Jordi Amat have arrived from Real Betis and Espanyol respectively, while Press Association Sport understands a club record £10.2million deal for Vitesse Arnhem striker Wilfried Bony is moving ever nearer. And Jenkins is adamant he always believed Laudrup would remain in charge. “Michael Laudrup has made his feelings known that he wanted to stay here and we have been looking to bring in five or six players,” Jenkins said. “We’ve worked hard during the last month or two with a lot of offers in for a lot of players, we are hoping to bring in one or two of those main targets, which have been publicised quite a bit but we will hopefully land them. “There’s always speculation when a club like us has been successful, whether it be players or managers, someone can come along to try and poach them, it’s the type of club we are and we have to accept it. “You can lose a manager or player in the transfer window any day. We’re always prepared here if things change for whatever reason out of our control, we have to deal with it.” Rather than being able to focus on strengthening their squad ahead of a season which will include the club’s first foray into the Europa League, the Liberty Stadium outfit have had to cope with a falling out between Jenkins and Laudrup’s long-time representative Bayram Tutumlu. “My relationship with Michael Laudrup has always been very good, that has never been in doubt,” Jenkins said. “There has been a lot of speculation this summer, a lot of it when Michael was on holiday, lots of it was blown out of proportion. But we weren’t close to losing him (Laudrup) as far as I was concerned.” Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins insists his relationship with Michael Laudrup has not been adversely affected by a summer disagreement over transfer policy, but he has made it clear he will not alter his prudent financial approach.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more