Deadline for Riverfest’s new Busking Competition extended

first_imgNewsDeadline for Riverfest’s new Busking Competition extendedBy Staff Reporter – April 28, 2015 767 Previous articleFunding appeal for earthquake victimsNext articleJan to get Limerick kids running Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Calling Limerick’s Creative Kids! TAGSartsBuskers competitionDolansDolans Warehousegigsgreat limerick runlimerickmusicRed door productionsriverfest2015Steamboat music Advertisement Limerick Artist Receives Arts Council Next Generation Award worth €20,000 Belltable:Connect invites applications for Translating Live to Online Workshops this Autumn Facebook Mick Flannery’s Virtual Tour of Ireland in Dolan’s tonight Printcenter_img by Aoife [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE deadline for application to the Busking Competition, , has been extended to Wednesday evening April 29.  The competition will host some of Limerick’s talented street musicians as they sing their hearts out, performing for some top quality prizes. Buskers will be located throughout Limerick’s pedestrianised streets, through designated pitches on Cruises street, Todds Bow, Chapel Street and Denmark Street. Music from the buskers will kick-off at 6pm on Sunday May 3, with judges visiting each pitch, adjudicating on performance, instrumental, vocal skills, passion and interaction with their audience. Two finalists will then be chosen to perform on stage at Upper Denmark Street, where the winner will be announced. Prizes include €500 worth of recording time with Red Door Productions, €750 worth of vouchers towards music equipment from Steamboat Music and opportunity to play in Limerick’s award winning music venue – Dolans Warehouse. To apply got to www.limerick.ie/festivals/riverfest/whatson/2015-05-03-riverfest-busking-competition to download an application form. Linkedin Twitter Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Post Show | Ham Sandwich Arts Council congratulates three Limerick artists on Covid-19 award WhatsApplast_img read more

Promise of ‘safer’ prostitution a myth

first_imgStuff co.nz 26 June 2014Sex workers in Christchurch are experiencing violence or abuse on at least a monthly basis, police say.Detective Senior Sergeant Darryl Sweeney, the adult sexual assault team manager, said police were concerned by the “fairly common” victimisation of Christchurch’s prostitutes, much of which went unreported.Sex workers were often reluctant to interact with police, even if they experienced violence. Police were in constant contact with the Prostitutes’ Collective to “break down any barriers”, he said.“At least monthly we are dealing with a working girl being victimised in some way, if not more. When they do come forward, it’s taken very seriously,” Sweeney said.Last month, a sex worker in her 20s was assaulted in Cambridge Green, near the intersection of Barbadoes and Salisbury Sts, about 2.15am.Connor Stephen James Galloway, 20, was arrested three days later and charged with assault with intent to commit sexual violation. He will next appear in court on July 28.http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/10200534/Sex-workers-deserve-protectionlast_img read more

Decision on new T&T coach set for this week

first_imgSACKED head coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men’s national team, Dennis Lawrence, will be replaced as early as next weekend to give the new boss time to help the side prepare for a two-legged CONCACAF Gold Cup playoff against either Guyana or Barbados.The next FIFA match window is in March of 2020, giving the new coach just three months between the first acid test and turning the fortunes of the Soca Warriors around.Trinidad and Tobago are in freefall at the moment, winning just one game in 2019 and currently lie at 104th in the world, just a few ranking places above its lowest all-time position.A statement from the William Wallace-led Trinidad and Tobago Football Association on Sunday confirmed the sacking of the 45-year-old coach, who has been in charge of the national team since January 2017.According to reports coming out of Trinidad and Tobago, the TTFA’s board had a nine-hour meeting Saturday at the Ato Boldon Stadium. It was at that meeting that the decision was taken to relieve the coach of his duties.The TTFA’s statement said Lawrence’s representatives and the board will meet to determine the terms of his departure.Under Lawrence, Trinidad  and Tobago played 31 matches. They won five, drew seven and lost 19 for a win percentage of 16.13 per cent.In those matches, TT scored 36 goals while conceding 53.Despite that poor record, Lawrence may be another in a long list of coaches to be owed significant amounts by the TTFA.The coach had two years left on his contract and had delayed signing that contract until a performance clause for his sacking was removed.The clause had said Lawrence had to maintain an annual success rate of 40 per cent while dropping no more than six points in the FIFA rankings.Lawrence has overseen a 20-point drop in the rankings stemming from 795 days without winning a competitive game.It is not yet known who the William Wallace-led Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) have been considering as replacement for Lawrence, but when the former T&T defender was given the job, Stephen Hart, Terry Fenwick and Stuart Charles-Fevrier were the names on the shortlist.Hart recently said the job was not one he would consider under the circumstances that existed in Trinidad & Tobago. (Sportsmax).last_img read more