Man charged with murder of Limerick mother

first_imgNewsMan charged with murder of Limerick motherBy Staff Reporter – April 1, 2015 630 A 41-year-old man has been charged with the murder of Limerick woman Margot Seery in 1994.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Howard Kelly, with an address at Osprey Apartments, Naas, Co. Kildare was arrested last Friday morning in the Kimmage area of Dublin before being brought to court.He was brought to Rathmines Garda station where he was charged with the murder of Margot Seery at Kenilworth Square in Dublin on October 8, 1994. Ms Seery was 49 at the time of her death.Kelly appeared before Judge Michael Walsh at Dublin District Court as Detective Garda Gabriel Duffy indicated that the matter would proceed by way of trial on indictment and that the book of evidence had yet to be completed.Given the nature of the charge, Judge Walsh said he would remand the defendant in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court next week. Bail can only be adjudicated on by the High Court.Granting free legal aid, the Judge said he was taking account of the fact that defence solicitor Stephen Walsh said that Mr Kelly “has mental health difficulties” and he ordered that all medical assistance should be granted to the accused while in custody.The body of Margot Seery was exhumed from Rathkeale Cemetery on September 16, 2014 and taken to University Hospital Limerick where a post-mortem examination was performed by deputy State pathologist, Dr Michael Curtis.Following the post-mortem examination, the remains were re-interred and a man was arrested and questioned in relation to the death. A file was then prepared for the DPP which subsequently led to the charges being made against Howard Kelly. Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April TAGSfeaturedmargot seery First Irish death from Coronavirus Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended WhatsApp Linkedin Print No vaccines in Limerick yet center_img Previous articleLaunch night for Limerick Film Festival 2015Next articleCraft your network at ‘Business After Hours’ Chamber event Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Advertisement Facebook Twitter Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORlast_img read more

We weren’t hacked, explains estate agency after shop window displays porn

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » We weren’t hacked, explains estate agency after shop window displays porn previous nextAgencies & PeopleWe weren’t hacked, explains estate agency after shop window displays pornWhitegates says power outage at its branch on Thursday evening let opportunistic passer-by search for images via the screen.Nigel Lewis18th February 202103,342 Views An estate agency that created national headlines when its electronic window display inexplicably displayed pornographic images last Thursday evening say they have worked out what happened.Senior staff at Whitegates in Mirfield near Huddersfield were horrified last week after being alerted about the images on their screen display, which was later shut down as staff investigated what had happened.A spokesperson from the estate agency, which has 29 branches across the Midlands and North of England, said a passing member of the public had taken advantage of a power outage at the branch that evening.It transpires that when this happens, the screen resets and for a short period display a Google search pages before returning to the property display software.Because members of the public can use a virtual mouse to scroll through these properties, it was also used to Google the image.Opportunistic individual“Therefore, we believe an opportunistic individual who was passing searched for the image to leave on screen,” the spokesperson says.“After spending the last few days looking at the systems in the back we have not found any hacking evidence or breaches in the back-office systems.“Whilst far from acceptable, we are happy the rear was not compromised and entry was via the front.”Whitegates says the digital display board will remain off until it could be sure a similar incident could not happen again.London estate agency Faron Sutaria had similar problems when one of its branches’ window TVs was changed by a passing prankster with a universal remote to a pornographic channel.window display Whitegates February 18, 2021Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Pompeo uses Tokyo visit to slam China, seek Asian allies’ support

first_imgUS Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited Japan on Tuesday to rally support from Washington’s closest allies in Asia, calling for deeper collaboration with Japan, India and Australia as a bulwark against China’s growing regional influence.The East Asia visit, Pompeo’s first in more than a year, coincides with worsening tensions with China. Yet the call for a united front against Beijing is a sensitive subject for Washington’s allies, which are reliant on China for trade.In comments before the start of a meeting of the Quad grouping of the four nations’ foreign ministers, Pompeo spoke in typically unsparing terms against Beijing’s ruling Chinese Communist Party. That was in contrast to his three counterparts, all of whom avoided calling out China directly. “As partners in this Quad, it is more critical now than ever that we collaborate to protect our people and partners from the CCP’s exploitation, corruption and coercion,” Pompeo said, referring to the ruling party.”We see it in the South and East China Seas, the Mekong, the Himalayas, the Taiwan Strait.”China has denounced the Quad as an attempt to contain its development.The four nations in the grouping stated their support for a free and open Indo-Pacific. In an interview with Japan’s Nikkei newspaper, Pompeo spoke of formalizing and potentially broadening the Quad grouping. “Once we’ve institutionalized what we’re doing – the four of us together – we can begin to build out a true security framework,” Pompeo told the Nikkei, suggesting other countries could be added to that “fabric” at “the appropriate time.”Pompeo told the Japanese public broadcaster NHK it was important that the “shared picture” of the challenge was shared with Southeast Asian countries.Analysts say such a formalized grouping referred to by Pompeo may never take shape, given the need for countries in the region to balance their relationships with China. But they say such remarks serve as a warning to China and play to its fears that the Quad might one day take shape as NATO did in Europe to contain the Soviet Union.Pompeo’s visit was supposed to include trips to Mongolia and South Korea but was cut back to one day after President Donald Trump was diagnosed with COVID-19.A State Department statement said Pompeo spoke on Tuesday to Mongolian President Khaltmaa Battulga and discussed working together to strengthen security in Asia, “as well as the of rescheduling the Secretary’s visit to Ulaanbaatar in the near future.”In his earlier remarks, Pompeo reiterated the Trump administration’s criticism of China’s handling of COVID-19 after it first broke out in the Chinese city of Wuhan.”When we met, now, last year, the landscape was very different. We couldn’t have imagined a pandemic that came from Wuhan. That crisis was made infinitely worse by the Chinese Communist Party’s cover-up,” he said.The United States and China, the world’s top two economies, are at loggerheads over a wide range of issues from Beijing’s handling of the coronavirus to its imposition of a new security law in Hong Kong and ambitions in the South China Sea.Most Asian allies have been pleased with Washington’s toughness toward their regional rival China but have not so eagerly welcomed the highly charged recent rhetoric from Trump and Pompeo and remain wary of going too far in antagonising China.Topics :last_img read more

Fake News: Spike in transgender suicide rates after Trump elected

first_imgThe Federalist 6 February 2017Family First Comment: This one example is stunning enough, but there’s 15 (!!) other examples of lies lies lies told by the media since Trump was elected. As the writer concludes..“Why are our media so regularly and so profoundly debasing and beclowning themselves, lying to the public and sullying our national discourse—sometimes on a daily basis? How has it come to this point? Perhaps the answer is: “We’ve let it.” The media will not stop behaving in so reckless a manner unless and until we demand they stop.”After Trump’s electoral victory on November 8, rumors began circulating that multiple transgender teenagers had killed themselves in response to the election results. There was no basis to these rumors. Nobody was able to confirm them at the time, and nobody has been able to confirm in the three months since Trump was elected.Nevertheless, the claim spread far and wide: Guardian writer and editor-at-large of Out Zach Stafford tweeted the rumor, which was retweeted more than 13,000 times before he deleted it. He later posted a tweet explaining why he deleted his original viral tweet; his explanatory tweet was shared a total of seven times. Meanwhile, PinkNews writer Dominic Preston wrote a report on the rumors, which garnered more than 12,000 shares on Facebook.At Mic, Matthew Rodriguez wrote about the unsubstantiated allegations. His article was shared more than 55,000 times on Facebook. Urban legend debunker website Snopes wrote a report on the rumors and listed them as “unconfirmed” (rather than “false”). Snopes’s sources were two Facebook posts, since deleted, that offered no helpful information regarding the location, identity, or circumstances of any of the suicides. The Snopes report was shared 19,000 times.At Reason, writer Elizabeth Nolan Brown searched multiple online databases to try to determine the identities or even the existence of the allegedly suicidal youth. She found nothing. As she put it: “[T]eenagers in 2016 don’t just die without anyone who knew them so much as mentioning their death online for days afterward.”She is right. Just the same, the stories hyping this idea garnered at least nearly 100,000 shares on Facebook alone, contributing to the fear and hysteria surrounding Trump’s win.Maybe It’s Time to Stop Reading Fake NewsSurely more incidents have happened since Trump was elected; doubtlessly there are many more to come. To be sure, some of these incidents are larger and more shameful than others, and some are smaller and more mundane.But all of them, taken as a group, raise a pressing and important question: why is this happening? Why are our media so regularly and so profoundly debasing and beclowning themselves, lying to the public and sullying our national discourse—sometimes on a daily basis? How has it come to this point?Perhaps the answer is: “We’ve let it.” The media will not stop behaving in so reckless a manner unless and until we demand they stop.That being said, there are two possible outcomes to this fake news crisis: our media can get better, or they can get worse. If they get better, we might actually see our press begin to hold the Trump administration (and government in general) genuinely accountable for its many admitted faults. If they refuse to fix these serial problems of gullibility, credulity, outrage, and outright lying, then we will be in for a rough four years, if not more.No one single person can fix this problem. It has to be a cultural change, a kind of shifting of priorities industry-wide. Journalists, media types, reporters, you have two choices: you can fix these problems, or you can watch your profession go down in flames.Most of us are hoping devoutly for the former. But not even a month into the presidency of Donald J. Trump, the outlook is dim.READ MORE: http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/16-fake-news-stories-reporters-have-run-since-trump-won/last_img read more