June 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts ChinaAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesReports and statisticsProtecting journalists ImprisonedFreedom of expressionPredatorsJudicial harassment News News Follow the news on China Organisation Help by sharing this information ChinaAsia – Pacific Condemning abusesReports and statisticsProtecting journalists ImprisonedFreedom of expressionPredatorsJudicial harassment April 27, 2021 Find out more Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News China’s Cyber Censorship Figures News RSF_en After President Xi Jinping last week gave himself the constitutional power to rule indefinitely, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) points out that more than 50 journalists and bloggers are currently jailed in China – some serving life sentences – and that ten of them could die prematurely as a result of the conditions in which they are held. China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison to go further March 22, 2018 – Updated on October 28, 2019 At least 10 citizen-journalists could die in China’s jails The Chinese authorities no longer sentence press freedom defenders to death, but they deliberately mistreat them and deprive them of the medical attention they need while in prison.The Nobel peace laureate Liu Xiaobo and the dissident blogger Yang Tongyan both died last year from cancer that was left untreated in detention. Liu Xiaobo’s widow Liu Xia, who is suffering from depression and a heart condition, has been denied contact with the outside world for eight years although no charge has been brought against her.To draw the international community’s attention to the fate of journalists and bloggers imprisoned in China, RSF is publishing a list of ten leading detainees who are in danger of dying as a result of mistreatment and a lack of medical care.IlhamTohti, 48, citizen-journalistLuJianhua (Wen Yu), 57, political commentatorZhang Haitao, 46, political commentatorYiu Mantin (Yao Wentian), 73, publisherWuGan, 44, bloggerLu Yuyu, 38 ans, journaliste-citoyen Huang Qi, 54, journalist, recipient of the 2004 RSF Press Freedom Prize GuiMinhai (Michael Gui), 53, Chinese-born Swedish publisherLiu Feiyue, 47 ans, journaliste Zhen Jianghua (Guests Zhen), 32, journalist March 12, 2021 Find out more
WhatsApp University of Limerick appoints first ever woman president of an Irish university Email Breaching the gender barrier at UL The main building at the University of LimerickThe University of Limerick has dropped out of the world’s top 500 universities.The 2016 World University Rankings, published last week, ranks UL in the 501-550 band, a significant fall from its previous position of 471.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Irish Universities Association (IUA) has responded to this news by referring to a decade of austerity and its “corrosive effect” on our higher education system.Stating that the “continued slide” of the Irish Universities should be “greeted with alarm” the IUA said that positive strides in research and the internationalisation of the staff and student cohort was being “undermined by the negative impact of underfunding on key indicators such as the student:faculty ratio.”IUA Chief Executive, Ned Costello said: “We can no longer hide from the corrosive effect which years of cutbacks are having on our higher education system. At a time when we are more dependent than ever on the talent of our people for our economic future, we simply must invest in our universities.”“An immediate injection of funding is required in the upcoming Budget and Estimates to fund more lecturers, deliver smaller group teaching and restore quality in our system,” Mr Costello concluded.Between 2007 and 2014, state funding for universities in this country fell by 28%, from €722.8m in 2007 to €522.2m in 2014.Conversely there was an increase in full-time enrollment in Irish universities of 18%, from 78,577 in 2008 to 93,023 in 2014.Reacting to these figures, the General Secretary of the Irish Federation of University Teachers (IFUT), Mike Jennings, said, “It is shocking to realise that student to academic staff ratios were worse in 2011 than those described in the report of the Commission on Higher Education (1967) and increased from 19:1 in 2007 to 23:1 in 2011.”Mr Jennings echoed the need to address this issue in this year’s budget, “The forthcoming Budget must address this crisis as a priority. The government must provide adequate funds to enable universities to recover from a decade of what now seems like deliberate neglect and downgrading of third-level education,” he said.All but one of Ireland’s universities have dropped in the listings, with only National University of Ireland in Galway improving upon last year’s position by rising from 271st to 249th.Trinity College Dublin remains Ireland’s highest ranked university in 98th place. For the fifth year running the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has been rated as the world’s best university.Out of the 32 OECD countries featured in the rankings, Ireland’s expenditure on third-level institutions was the fourth lowest. Linkedin Twitter Previous articleSocials – Press Ball 2016 LaunchNext articleLimerick councillors fobbed off by transport authority Editor Advertisement Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Print NewsEducationUL drops out of top 500 universitiesBy Editor – September 8, 2016 995 TAGSUL Facebook University of Limerick came out on top at this years Smedia Awards Intermediate Care Facility patients benefiting from holistic healthcare model RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Post Show | CSSI 2020
Top Stories20 Years Period To Clear AGR Dues Not Reasonable : SC On Centre’s Plea To Allow Time For Telecos Sanya Talwar11 Jun 2020 6:25 AMShare This – xThe Supreme Court on Thursday directed telecom firms that owe AGR dues amounting to over Rupees 1.43 lakh crore, to file affidavits stipulating a reasonable time frame for effectuating payment.A bench of Justices Arun Mishra, S. Abdul Nazeer & MR Shah took up an application filed by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), proposing a staggered payment spanning over 20 years,…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Supreme Court on Thursday directed telecom firms that owe AGR dues amounting to over Rupees 1.43 lakh crore, to file affidavits stipulating a reasonable time frame for effectuating payment.A bench of Justices Arun Mishra, S. Abdul Nazeer & MR Shah took up an application filed by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), proposing a staggered payment spanning over 20 years, for telecom firms to discharge their AGR dues and further directed the DoT to reconsider bills generated towards Public Sector Undertakings (PSU’s) after the October 2019 verdict.Justice Arun Mishra also sought the DoT’s response regarding the efficacy of the proposed time frame of 20 years to enunciate payments.Today, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta appeared for the DoT and justified the need for payment of AGR dues in a staggered fashion (20 years, as averred in the application of DoT), else it could hit the telecom sector which in turn would effect consumers heavily.Solicitor General: “Delays in disruption of service for customers, they will suffer, adverse impact on tele service, costlier & could be disadvantageous to the consumer”.Justice Arun Mishra: “There are two issues: What is the time within which they are to pay? What is the guarantee they will pay within the time fixed? You had argued about impact on Telecom sector earlier as well. Who has seen twenty years Mr. Mehta? This is not a reasonable time period to make payments”Justice MR Shah: “Litigation started in 1999, 20 years have already passed!”At this juncture, Senior Advocate Arvind Datar appearing for Tata Communications submitted that the Telcos be provided with an opportunity to file an affidavit in this regard.Justice Mishra: “You [Tata] are a businessman, come out with a solution!”Senior Advocate Mukul Rohatgi appearing for Vodafone stated that the total amount due on Vodafone’s behalf stood at Rs. 50,000 Crore plus interest and penalty. Rohatgi: “We cannot give bank guarantees. We don’t have enough money even to pay our employees and meet our expenses.”Further, Senior Advocate Dr. AM Singhvi appearing for Airtel stated that his Client had already made payment of 70 per cent of the AGR dues and the time frame required for paying the remaining sum would be minimal.Singhvi: “The total receipt from all people is Rs. 25900 crores of which I have paid over 18000 crores, this is 70 percent of payment already made from my end. In my case, I will work it out and will present the time frame which is bound to be minimal”In light of this, the bench directed the telecom companies to file affidavits explaining the time needed by them to clear the dues on account of the AGR verdict and put up the matter for hearing on June 18.Also Read : SC Asks DoT To Reconsider Claims Made On PSUs Based On AGR Judgment; Says ‘It’s A Misuse Of Our Verdict The Department of Telecommunications (DOT) has filed a plea in the Supreme Court for modification of the order dated October 24, 2019 vis-à-vis arriving at a formula for recovery of past dues from telecom service providers.In March, before the commencement of the ongoing coronavirus-forced lockdown, the Department of Telecom (DoT) had moved the Supreme Court proposing staggered payment over 20 years for telecom firms to discharge their AGR dues.However, on March 18, Supreme Court lashed out at the Centre and telecom companies for doing self-assessment or reassessment of the Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) dues fixed by the apex court in its verdict.Expressing shock at the DoT plea, Justice Mishra had asked “Who permitted self-assessment? CAG audit has to be done. This is a question of this Court’s prestige. Do (telecom) companies feel they are more powerful than court?”The Union had also contended in its averments that this modification is extremely important and thereby the approval of the proposal for mode of recovery as envisaged by the Government in the administrative hierarchy, keeping in mind the larger economic consequences on the nation.In April, the Supreme Court had rejected pleas by Vodafone Idea, Bharti Airtel and Tata Teleservices seeking review of the October 24 verdict that widened the definition of adjusted gross revenue (AGR).Click here to download OrderSubscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Story
News Updates”Perversity Requiring Correction”: P&H HC Sets Aside Trial Court’s Order Denying Children Custody To Mother Relying On Infidelity Allegations Sparsh Upadhyay3 April 2021 12:25 AMShare This – xThe Punjab and Haryana High Court last week set aside a Trial Court’s Order by which the custody of the children was denied to the Mother by relying on allegations of infidelity levelled against her. The Bench of Justice Sudhir Mittal observed that in view of Section 17 of the Guardian Act as well as Section 13 of the Minority Act, the welfare of the minor is the paramount consideration…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Punjab and Haryana High Court last week set aside a Trial Court’s Order by which the custody of the children was denied to the Mother by relying on allegations of infidelity levelled against her. The Bench of Justice Sudhir Mittal observed that in view of Section 17 of the Guardian Act as well as Section 13 of the Minority Act, the welfare of the minor is the paramount consideration to be kept in mind by the Court while appointing a guardian.The Bench also observed,”Children are innocence personified. For their ideal development, it is essential that the period of innocence be cherished and protected. This, however, remains a pipe-dream where parents clash..” Facts in brief The marriage between the parties was solemnized on 03rd May 2008 and a male child namely Lakshin was born on 16th July 2009 (presently 11 and a half years old) and a female child namely Tiana was born on 13th March 2017 (about 04 years old). The parents/parties got separated on 16th February 2019 and the wife alleged that she had been thrown out and was not permitted to take the children along with her, whereas the husband alleged that she had deserted the family. Wife-Mother preferred a petition under Sections 7, 10 & 25 of the Guardians and Wards Act, 1890 in May 2019, in which an application under Section 12 thereof had been filed for grant of interim custody. The said application was rejected vide impugned order dated 05th February 2020, however, she was permitted to meet the minor children. Amicus curiae’s report Court had appointed an Amicus Curiae, who, in his report submitted that the children miss their mother’s company and that Lakshin, being older in age, was being indoctrinated against his mother. Despite the same, he was keen on meeting his mother and enjoyed her company. Court’s observations The Court noted that allegations and counter-allegations were made by both parties. In her petition for guardianship, the petitioner-Wife/mother pleaded that the respondent-Husband/Father is a perverted person. In the reply filed by the respondent, he claimed that the Petitioner-Wife/Mother is over-sexed and has extramarital relations and that she was not possessed of means to bring up the children. However, the Court noted that the allegations made by either side couldn’t be taken into consideration at the instant stage as they have not been proved through evidence. Further, the Court noted, “The learned trial Court was correct in observing so while passing the impugned order but apparently it has still been influenced by the allegations made against the mother which is a perversity requiring correction.” Also, taking into account the qualifications of Mother, the Court noted that she is a well-educated and qualified lady and that she possesses means to maintain her children. Further, in view of the detailed report of the learned Amicus Curiae, the Court concluded that the best interests of the children lie in the custody of their mother. Consequently, the Court directed, “Tiana is under 05 years of age and in view of Section 6(a) of the Minority Act, her best interests would definitely be served in the custody of the mother. Lakshin cannot be separated from his sister as the same would traumatize both of them.” Thus, the impugned order passed by the trial Court was set aside and it was directed that the custody of the minor children be transferred to the petitioner within 07 days. The respondent has been given visitation rights on 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month between 3.00 pm to 5.00 pm at the residence of the petitioner and in her presence. Case title – Megha Sood v. Amit Sood [Civil Revision No.1402 of 2020 (O&M)] Click Here To Download OrderRead OrderNext Story
Read Full Story If a single illuminated manuscript can give a glimpse of the art, literature, religion and history of Western culture during the Middle Ages, imagine what nearly 4,000 – the number of such manuscripts held in the Boston area – might do.Those 4,000 manuscripts are the focus of an exhibit being prepared by Kuno Francke Professor of German Art & Culture Jeffrey Hamburger and Houghton Library Curator of Early Books and Manuscripts William Stoneman. Hamburger and Stoneman are the recipients of a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) grant to fund planning for an exhibition, catalog, website, international conference and special collections consortium of schools, museums and libraries on illuminated manuscripts dating from the 9th to the 16th century.“The motivation for doing this exhibition is the very simple fact that there’s a larger concentration of medieval and renaissance painting tucked away at libraries and other collections in the Boston area that remains little known or entirely unknown than anywhere in North America,” said Hamburger.The exhibit, “Pages from the Past: Illuminated Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Boston-area Collections,” will open in the fall of 2016 in three Boston venues: Harvard’s Houghton Library, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and Boston College’s McMullen Museum of Art. In the upcoming months, Hamburger and Stoneman will work with partners at those institutions and at the Boston Athenaeum, the Boston Public Library, the Museum of Fine Arts, Brandeis, MIT, Tufts, Northeastern and Wellesley to finalize a list of ca. 200 manuscripts to display.
San Francisco bans natural gas use in new construction projects FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):San Francisco will ban natural gas infrastructure in most new construction, reinforcing previous building electrification measures adopted in California’s fourth most populous city.The city’s Board of Supervisors on Nov. 17 voted unanimously to amend San Francisco’s building code to prohibit the issuance of permits for residential and commercial construction that includes gas piping. The gas ban would apply to buildings built after June 1, 2021, with exceptions for restaurants and cases where all-electric construction is not technically feasible.Supervisor Rafael Mandelman introduced the legislation on June 30, opting to pursue a strategy pioneered by Berkeley, Calif., which taps the city’s power to modify its building code to safeguard public health and safety. The ordinance is meant to reduce the city’s greenhouse gas emissions, but also acknowledges the risk of natural gas explosions and research that links burning the fuel indoors with adverse health outcomes.The Board of Supervisors previously prohibited gas infrastructure in municipal building construction and renovation. It also adopted a so-called energy reach code — which “reaches” beyond minimum state standards — to require new buildings with gas infrastructure to achieve higher energy standards than all-electric buildings.Lawmakers made several changes to the original version of the gas ban ordinance, which included a blanket exception for gas piping in commercial kitchen spaces through Jan. 1, 2022. The final version allows city officials to grant restaurant exceptions beyond that date, but only after determining the applicant has shown that gas appliances are necessary for a specific food service, such as cooking with a wok.More than 30 California towns, cities and counties have adopted building gas bans or electrification requirements and preferences for new construction.[Tom DiChristopher]More ($): San Francisco bans natural gas in new buildings