BEIJING — Most Asian stocks sank Tuesday after a tech sell-off dragged Wall Street lower.KEEPING SCORE: Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 lost 2.3 per cent to 21,760.59 while the Shanghai Composite Index gained 0.8 per cent to 2,652.70. Sydney’s S&P-ASX 200 declined 1.8 per cent to 5,834.20 and Seoul’s Kospi gave up 0.7 per cent to 2,065.42. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng gained 0.2 per cent to 25,706.88, while India’s Sensex retreated 0.2 per cent to 34,747.01. Jakarta gained while New Zealand, Taiwan and other Southeast Asian market declined.WALL STREET: A sell-off in technology companies knocked more than 600 points off the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The wave of selling snared big names including Apple, Amazon and Goldman Sachs. Banks, consumer-focused companies, and media and communications stocks all took heavy losses. That, in turn, weighed on chipmakers. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index lost 2 per cent to 2,726.22. The Dow gave up 2.3 per cent to 25,387.18. It was down briefly by 648 points. The Nasdaq composite slid 2.8 per cent to 7,200.87.APPLE: The tech tumble followed an analyst report that suggested Apple significantly cut back orders from one of its suppliers. That fueled questions about the outlook for tech industries and U.S. economic growth. Apple fell 5 per cent after Wells Fargo analysts said the iPhone maker is the unnamed customer that optical communications company Lumentum Holdings said was significantly reducing orders. Shares in Lumentum plunged 33 per cent.US-CHINA TRADE: Markets in Shanghai and Hong gained after the South China Morning Post newspaper reported Chinese President Xi Jinping’s top economic adviser, Vice Premier Liu He, might visit Washington ahead of Xi’s planned meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump. The newspaper, citing unidentified sources, said the visit is aimed at easing trade tensions but no schedule had been decided. The two sides have raised tariffs on billions of dollars of each other’s goods in a dispute over U.S. complaints about Beijing’s technology policy. Xi and Trump are due to meet during this month’s Group of 20 gathering of major economies in Argentina.ANALYST’S TAKE: “The U.S. morning sell-off in the tech sector triggered the equity rout,” said Stephen Innes of OANDA in a report. “It is hard to overlook the global growth slowdown, while the Trump administration seems set to exert pressure on China trade.” A stronger U.S. dollar usually acts as a “wrecking ball through Asian equities.”OPEC: Saudi Arabia said the oil cartel and allied crude producers will likely need to cut supplies, perhaps by as much as 1 million barrels of oil a day, to rebalance the market after U.S. sanctions failed to cut Iran’s output. Khalid al-Falih’s comments showed the balancing act U.S. allies face in dealing with President Donald Trump’s actions. Trump has demanded OPEC increase production to drive down U.S. gasoline prices. Al-Falih, who on Sunday said the kingdom would cut production by more than 500,000 barrels per day in December, said Saudi Arabia gave customers “100 per cent of what they asked for.” That appeared to be a veiled reference to Trump.ENERGY: Benchmark U.S. crude fell 87 cents to $59.04 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract sank 26 cents on Monday to $59.93. Brent crude, used to price international oils, lost 81 cents to $69.33 in London. It declined 6 cents the previous session to $70.12.CURRENCY: The dollar declined to 113.89 yen from Monday’s 113.84 yen. The euro gained to $1.1241 from $1.1218.Joe McDonald, The Associated Press
Kolkata: Until a few months ago, the pathology department of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital use to get around 800 blood samples a day. However, after an online system of blood report collection was introduced at the hospital, the number of samples reduced to around 300.It was found that several unauthorised persons from private pathological centres had been submitting blood samples at the medical college to get the tests done at no cost. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellersAccording to a source, before the online system was introduced around 800 blood samples were deposited at the pathology department of the hospital. Under this system, the patient or his family members had to fill up a requisition form issued by the pathology department of the hospital. The patient party used to get two copies of the filled up requisition form and a date was issued by authorities for blood collection. On the day of collection, the hospital authorities use to take one copy from the patient and wrap it around the sample container. After the examination process was completed, the patient used to get the report from the pathology department by submitting the other copy to the pathology department. Some persons from a few private pathological centres around the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital were using these forms to get blood reports of their patients from the pathology department of the medical college and hospital. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThey used the findings of the reports, provided by the pathology department of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, to come up with their own reports. These pathological centres charged a good amount of money to hand over these reports to their patients. Superintendent of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital Indranil Biswas said the hospital authority used to get several complaints of missing reports and there were allegations that people working with private pathology centres were using the pathology department of the medical college and hospital to conduct tests for their patients. “After the online system was introduced, the requisition form was obsolete. Now, the registration number of the patient, which is printed on the outdoor ticket, is the only identification,” said Biswas. A source said after the online system was introduced, the number of sample deposit has come down to around 300 a day. It is alleged that a section of staff of the medical college and hospital were involved in corruption.
The Ohio State women’s gymnastics team snagged another win with an overall score of 195.8 after their home quad-meet against No. 11 Michigan, Washington and Kent State on Saturday evening.The team started strong in their first rotation event on vault, scoring a total of 49.12. Junior Alexis Mattern received the highest score and career best of 9.9, tying for first on vault with Michigan’s Olivia Karas.“Person after person, and being the sixth person up on vault, it’s, it’s kind of tough,” Mattern said. “So you have to wait and watch your teammates, and you just wait in the wings until it’s your turn. And for me to do the vault that I’ve been training all week, right in the moment, when it really counted, was just really great to start that off.”The Buckeyes gained the lead after the first rotation and continued with momentum to the second event on uneven bars. Sophomore Kaitlyn Hofland placed second overall with a score of 9.85.After the third rotation on beam, OSU still held the lead before entering their fourth and final event on floor.“As much as we try not to focus too much on the scores, we could see that we were still in the lead going into the last event,” Hofland said. “Floor is a strong event for us. It’s a fun event. It’s an awesome event and we knew we all could do it.With the team placing first in their Saturday meet and Mattern finishing third in the all-around with a 39.125, Ohio State received their first conference win against Michigan.“To beat them at home when all the odds were really stacked against us just means so much more, especially because we worked so hard,” said Mattern.After riding a wave from their second victory, the team said it won’t take the win for granted. A few minor performance issues were seen during the meet, such as two girls receiving a one-tenth point deduction for stepping out of bounds on their floor routines.Although coach Carey Fagan took these performances as something to improve upon in preparation for their next meet on Jan. 28 against Iowa, she holds a strong positive outlook for the coming meet and the season as a whole.“Starting off in the conference 1-0 is going to be huge for my team, and beating — Michigan is a great team,” said Fagan. “They’re historically strongest in the conference, so I think the confidence that my team will get knowing that they compete with the best will really set us up for the rest of the season.”
Lazio manager Simone Inzaghi has refused to blame any of his players following their shock exit from the Europa League against RB SalzburgFollwing their 4-2 victory in the first leg last week, Lazio were in a promising position to progress with Ciro Immobile putting them in the lead at the Red Bull Arena.Yet Munas Dabbur’s goal afterwards appeared to have stirred a comeback in Salzburg with the hosts scoring three goals in the space of just four minutes to win the second leg 4-1.The result of the return leg ensured that it would be Salzburg, not Lazio, who progressed to the semi-finals of the Europa League with a 6-5 aggregate win over the Italian side.But Inzaghi, brother of the legendary AC Milan star Filippo Inzaghi, refused to hold any of his players accountable for the defeat and instead hopes that it will be a valuable experience for the young squad.Match Preview: SS Lazio vs AS Roma Boro Tanchev – August 31, 2019 Lazio will host Roma to the Olimpico Stadium in the first Derby della Capitale of the 2019-20 Serie A campaign.“The difference is that we had the same number of shots on goal today, they scored four and we got one. We’ll learn from this and it’ll help us to grow.”said the 42 year-old, according to Goal.“It was an emotional journey. It’s a shame we couldn’t give them this semi-final, which was right there in front of us.“I don’t think we were defensive this evening at all. We had the scoring opportunities and simply didn’t take enough of them. The two goals they scored in Rome were also somewhat fortuitous, but we move on.“I am sure it’ll be another step in the growth experience, as let’s not forget we have many young players in their first European campaigns.”Lazio will now return their focus to the Serie A with Inzaghi’s side being involved in a tight battle for a spot in the top four. Currently the capital club are in third place in the Serie A standings ahead of rivals Roma, Inter Milan and AC Milan.
In his autobiography, Zlatan Ibrahimovic admitted to feeling betrayed by Milan when they sold him to PSG for €20 million in 2012.According to reports, Ibrahimovic is going back to San Siro, where he never wanted to leave.The 37-year-old Swede revealed details in his new book titled ‘I am football’. He gave an insight regarding his experience with former Milan CEO Adriano Galliani.In excerpts from the book were published by La Gazzetta Dello Sport, Ibrahimovic wrote: “Galliani told me: ‘Ibra, you have nothing to be worried about, we won’t sell you.’“A few weeks later, I was in my holiday home in Vaxholm. I had just returned from water skiing and saw there were five missed calls on my phone from Mino Raiola.PSG ultras sent a warning letter to Neymar Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Brazilian superstar Neymar might play today his first game of the season for Paris Saint-Germain and the team’s ultras have warned him.“I’d made him swear not to call me during my vacation, so I knew something was going on. ‘We have to talk,’ he told me. ‘Leonardo will call you.’“I wondered who this Leonardo was, then put it together. Leonardo… the director of sport at PSG. ‘Listen, I don’t want to talk to him. There’s nothing to talk about, seeing as Galliani promised I wasn’t for sale.’“Raiola replied: ‘Well, see, in reality, they’ve already sold you…’ ”
Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio insists they remain fully committed to their current manager Luciano Spalletti and will not pursue Jose MourinhoThe pressure on Spalletti has been growing this season following their Champions League group-stage exit and with Inter already 14 points behind Serie A leaders Juventus in third.Chinese owners Suning Holdings Group are understood to be determined to bring back the glory days for Inter, which has renewed talk of a possible return for Mourinho.The Portuguese coach was in charge of Inter between 2008 to 2010 and led them to becoming the first Italian club to win the treble after success in the Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League.Despite the fact though that Mourinho’s available after his departure from Manchester United, Ausilio denies any interest in rehiring him.Gasperini reveals why he rejected Inter Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Atalanta manager, Gian Piero Gasperini, has revealed why he rejected Internazionale Milan’s job proposal over the summer transfer window.“Mourinho? He is not a shadow,” Ausilio told Sky Sport Italia.“It does not surprise me that we talk about him in a time when media and everyone need to say something.“We work in a more rational way. Our project has been ongoing for a year-and-a-half with Spalletti and will go on with him for many years.Inter defeated Empoli 1-0 on Saturday for their final match of 2018.
As the transfer market maintains its course at the end of January, manager Marcelino has confirmed that ‘Chicharito’ is keen in a Valencia move.With striker Michy Batshuayi not living up to the expectations for Valencia, it was only natural that manager Marcelino started looking for a proper replacement such as West Ham United’s ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez.The Mexican player has a sweet memory at Mestalla during his Manchester United days, he scored the winning goal against Valencia and left a very good impression with all the Spanish fans who right now would love to have him come back to La Liga.The striker already knows what it is to play in Spanish football after he played a season on loan for Real Madrid, he became very important for Los Blancos when Carlo Ancelotti was still the manager of the club but fell short as the squad only made it to Champions League semifinals and didn’t win La Liga trophy.Hernandez still left a great image amongst all Spanish football fans, they like the idea of having him back scoring goals for Valencia and the club’s manager just revealed that the player is keen on making the shock move from English football.But there are a set of problems that prevent him from coming.Chicharito se atascaLINK PODCAST ➡️ https://t.co/iwmJfN0wGK🦇 Garay, Batshuayi y Chicharito, los tres nombres del mercado🗣RP Marcelino y entrenamiento Valencia🐸 Defensa en cuadro para el Pizjuán 👥Tertulia con @DavidFerriis8, @PardoD_, @DCampoy10 y @sanchis14 pic.twitter.com/cGIDNJInQ8— Radio Marca Valencia (@RMValencia) January 25, 2019The first situation that ‘Chicharito’ will encounter is the fact that manager Manuel Pellegrini is still not sure about Marko Arnautovic’s future, if the forward leave then Hernandez won’t have a chance to leave the Hammers with virtually no strikers.The second problem is the deal that West Ham United wants for the Mexican, they are keen on him to leave but only for a definitive transfer and not a loan like Valencia would like.But as the clock keeps ticking for Valencia and ‘Chicharito’ himself, the Spanish club is quickly running out of options and they obviously don’t want to only keep Michy Batshuayi after becoming one of the club’s biggest flops in recent memory.Marcelino is open to the possibility of selling the Belgian striker, but he also knows that striking a good deal for him will be quite difficult as he currently belongs to Chelsea and the Blues don’t want anything to do with him.Report: Marcelino speaks out after Valencia sacking George Patchias – September 13, 2019 Marcelino says he knows why he was sacked by Valencia.Speaking for the first time since he was dismissed by Valencia, after only three games…Valencia is in a tight spot right now and this sets back Hernandez’s chances to return to the Spanish La Liga.Este día Marcelino García Toral, entrenador del Valencia, confirma que si están buscando los servicios del mexicano.“Chicharito quiere venir, pero es complicado, West Ham solo contempla la venta”.Medios en Inglaterra informan que Valencia puso 8 millones. pic.twitter.com/4PO1yi6gDz— Fútbol al Momento (@2Futalmomento) January 25, 2019During a press conference this Friday ahead of Valencia’s Derby against Villarreal at Mestalla, manager Marcelino spoke about the Mexican striker and two other players who may or may not leave the club during the winter.“‘Chicharito’ is an option for us because he doesn’t really play much at his club and he is keen on coming to play for Valencia, but we have a complicated situation on our hands,” said Marcelino on Marca.“Keeping three strikers is not something we are looking for. The little information I get, suggests that West Ham United only contemplates selling ‘Chicharito’.”“As far as other transfers, I don’t have the certainty that Ezequiel Garay will leave the club in any case. I don’t see my self in any scenario that doesn’t include Valencia keeping Garay until June 30.”“With Batshuayi, I think that nothing is impossible. I can’t discard any possibility. Batshuayi staying at the club is very unlikely.”“If it was up to Valencia and the player he would be gone by now, but there is a third involved club who has his rights. I think that this situation will resolve itself in the finals days of the transfer window,” he concluded.“Chicharito quiere venir al Valencia” lo confirma Marcelino García Toral técnico del equipo Che, en rueda de prensa. pic.twitter.com/VChJcr52gB— Fernando Cevallos (@FerCevallosF) January 25, 2019Would you like ‘Chicharito’ to complete his transfer from West Ham United to Valencia? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.